Supporters will be asking themselves ‘What next?’ after the ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers depleted side somehow summoned up a final three heats deserving of a Cup Final rather than this quarter final 2nd leg!

Holding a first leg advantage of ten points the Stoke ‘Potters’ started confidently with a heat win from Mitchell Davey. A debatable exclusion for new boy Matt Marson in heat two saw a second drawn heat and only fines blasts from Jon Armstrong and Jordan Jenkins to pass David Wallinger in heat three prevented the Potters from extending their lead.

Heat Four saw the crowd lifted when Dan Halsey gated to be joined by Marson with the youngster riding a fine line to keep the experienced Luke Priest at bay and secure an important 5-1 to redice the gap to six points. A 4-2 from the Armstrong/Jenkins pairing in heat five bought the Fen Tigers closer before two shared heats saw the tie well poised going into heat eight.

Suddenly the Fen Tigers good work was undone as Ryan Terry Daley and Shaun Tedham gated leaving the struggling Danno Verge in their wake and when Dan Halsey was excluded in heat eleven another 5-1 for the visitors saw them twelve points ahead with only four races left.

Some stern words from the management team and a powerful rallying cry from the Fen Tigers talismanic captain Jon Armstrong during the interval didn’t reap immediate rewards as although Armstrong powered home in heat twelve the heat was shared leaving the Fen Tigers the seemingly impossible job of securing three 5-1’s in the last three heats to draw the tie overall.

Heat thirteen saw Potter Luke Priest hit the front but both excellent guest Ben Morley and the flying Halsey stormed to the front to reduce the lead to eight and give maybe the most optimistic Fen Tiger supporter hope that the tie could still be saved. Team Manager Rob Henry bought Matt Marson into heat fourteen as the Fen Tigers had their final throw of the dice and the youngster didn’t disappoint gating well before being joined by Jordan Jenkins for another 5-1, particular credit to Jenkins for riding through the pain barrier today after a lunchtime fitness test. Suddenly the cup tie was alive and when Armstrong and Halsey won the battle of the first to bends in heat fifteen the noise in the stadium was louder than the overhead planes, the Fen Tiger pairing racing clear and out of nowhere the battling Fen Tigers had secured a cup replay!

Club promoter Kevin Jolly was relieved but not totally happy with today’s performance, he said “Yes, some harsh words were dished out today, some of the riders needed reminding of what was expected of them and thankfully the response was what I would have hoped for in the final races. For the third meeting in a row we have had speedway that has had the supporters on their feet, but make no mistake we should have won this tie and not needed to go through the two legs again!

We had some good performances today from our top three whilst Jordan (Jenkins) bravely rode through the pain barrier for us and linked up well with Matt (Marson) for that all important 5-1 in heat fourteen. Matt showed up well in his debut and clearly has plenty of potential, he started nervously naturally enough but put in a couple of fine efforts especially when keeping Luke Priest at bay in heat four”

Mildenhall ‘KJM/Manchetts’ Fen Tigers 50
Danny Halsey 12 (5 rides), Jon Armstrong 11+2 (5), Ben Morley (G) 10+1 (4), Jordan Jenkins 6+2 (4), Matt Marson 5+1 (5), Lewis Whitmore 4 (3) and Danno Verge 2+1(4)

Stoke ‘A.R. Richards’ Potters 40
Mitchell Davey 10 (5 rides), Tony Atkin 8+1 (5), Luke Priest 6 (4), Shaun Tedham 5 (4), Ryan Terry-Daley 4+2 (4), David Wallinger 4+1 (4) and Paul Burnett 3+3 (4)